Saturday, January 02, 2010

Resolutions 2010


It has been awhile since the last post. Once the holiday season began I was swept up into the "Martha-ing" of it all, and as always, put too much pressure on myself to do a million things and do them all perfectly. Stupid me. Between the baking, decorating, shopping, celebrations, traveling & wrapping it was enough to cause a nervous breakdown. I think I even begged my mom to postpone the festivities until July because I just might be ready by then. I finally took a step back and realized it doesn't matter that I didn't do everything from the latest Southern Living or Martha Stewart Living magazine to make my home, baked goods and wrapped gifts look spectacular - those things are not the reason for the season. Next year I will have to remember this.


Now that the decorations are (sort of) put away it is time to focus on the New Year and make some goals. Publicly declaring my resolutions seems to make me that more apt to stick to them. While I missed quite a few of the 2009 resolutions, I did make some attempts and I am pleased with the results. So now, on to 2010.

This year I will attempt to:
1) Attempt project 365. I am already off to a good start, I downloaded a ton of free digital templates (the Flickr one just did not work for me) and completed day 1 successfully. I resolve to continue this endeavor for the next 364 days and turn it into a fabulous Shutterfly book at the end.
2) Because of resolution 1, I need to dig a little more into digi-scrapbooking. As a huge fan of the paper & glue version and a non-fan of the room I keep all of the supplies, digital pages may be the perfect resolution to my problems.
3) Which leads to #3, I need to use up the thousands of dollars worth of supplies I already have on hand but I will need a
4) New house. Matt and I realize that our current home is not conducive of our plans to expand our family and the layout is not ideal for our needs. Hopefully our new house will have a room or nook that I can have all to myself.
5) In order to get a new house, we must first put this house on the market. Scary scary scary. Of course we bought at the peak of the housing boom and are looking to sell in a time when no one can. The plus side is we have a great starter home for someone looking to buy and the houses in our neighborhood seem to go faster than most.
6) Flooring projects. I have talked about replacing flooring in this house for years, but it cannot wait any longer. Pergo and new carpet, here we come!!!!
7) Stop trying to be Martha. I do not have 8 million servants at my beck and call in order for me to spend my time being perfect. Let it go.
8) Still looking for that elusive, always available babysitter who doesn't charge more than we spent on our time away from the house. 2010 is our year!
9) Get on track financially. We seriously need this and I think it is time for my husband, who is in school to become an accountant, to take over the checkbook. How I hate to lose the control but it is so needed. Spenders usually marry savers, I am sure you figured out which category I fall under.
10) Start going to church. Since Matt works on Sundays, I am not all that motivated to 1) seek out a new church on my own and 2) deal with Ainsley by myself in trying to get her ready, drop her off with strangers, etc. However church was a very important part of my life for a long time and I need to bring it back.

So there they are, out there for the world to see. I have a feeling 2010 is my year!!!

Happy New Year to you all, I wish you the very best and hope all of you are successful in accomplishing your goals as well.

2 comments:

Kembree said...

Good luck with the sale of your house, we sold ours in 6 months and we did it ourselves, so it can be done! Better to do it now when you really dont HAVE to, right? Good luck and happy 2010

Courtney said...

Your resolutions motivate me! and yes, that spending thing is my #1 problem! xoxo.